Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mantel, in transition

I have a mantel.
Fall is here.
I am seeing mantels everywhere.
I hear (or, read, on blogs the looming question of "what's on your mantel"...sounds like the Capital One commmercials, huh?)

Not one for peer pressure, and without my mantel being fully complete (see below..), but I jumped on the mantel bandwagon.
Here's my mantel, currently being "fall-ized", so it's in transition......
don't judge :)

I made a few crafts and specifically for my Fall mantel....

The Easiest Wreath. Ever. Evah.
It's two steps.
Step One: Take the Michael's tag off.
Step Two: Clip a hairpin on.

...yes, that's a hairclip from my own About a Bride (Shimmer & Tulle Collection, of course) line. The wreath is just borrowing it....

Fall Frames


Getting two ugly "fake bronze" frames from the Dollar Store, I removed the flower prints and sprayed painted them a glossy white. I then used some jute as the backdrop (which I got on clearance at the beginning of summer, it really was to wrap your trees in for the winter...).

For the green one, I clipped the flowers off of a bouquet that I used for a Little Girl's Nutcracker Party I hosted last year....not fully sure of the color -- but I sprayed one a bronzy color and well, it looked a bit like poop and that wasn't quite the look I was going for. Lol.

For the pumpkin one, I bought a cheap packet of self-adhesive foam pumpkins from Michael's and just painted them blue and one white. Yeah, as said before, I couldn't do plain orange.....

Also, that yellow flower bush on the righthand side of the mantel, that is my tissue paper tree that I made many years ago...you can see a closeup here.

And you obviously saw the unused Ikea Ribba Frame....yeah, still working on that...its a huge frame and this is really the only place it works, so I am still trying to decide what to do with it. Was thinking either a fun wall quote or scripture or the "house rules" (inspired by this)....

What's "stifling" the decor a little in this room is that in all honesty, I've wanted to paint this room since we've moved in, 4 years ago...the green is okay, but not really me. I would love a cottagey/country look with white batten board walls and pops of that robin blue color that I adore....so all along the years, I have been decorating with what I will eventually change this room into.....

So, overall still working on my Fall mantle....I have till around Nov anyhow when then, I will be working on my Christmas mantle.

Linked to:
The Centsational Girl ,
Blue Cricket Designs
and
The Lettered Cottage

http://www.thethriftyhome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your heart!