Friday, January 27, 2012

Midnight Crafting

Do you remember those commercials, probably back in the 90's, that said: "It's 10pm. Do you know where your children are?".

Well, I have my own version.

It's midnight. Do you know your wife is crafting?

With a 3year old and a newborn, my days are quite busy and often it's just me going back and forth between the children, meeting their needs. And not only am I feeling like I am not really getting anything done -- it's a good day when I can get food on the table --- but I am feeling my creativity is just pent up. I need to do something. Even a small craft project. Though, with me, nothing is ever small, so to even come up with an idea is an ordeal. Just saying, y'all.

So it was on my mind and aim to get something, anything, done. Tonight. So after putting a strong willed preschooler to bed and nursing a newborn,
I went on my mission.

Decided to do a small project. One of those that you always see as "need to get done" because every time you pass it's future location,
the lack of "project doneness" irks you.

Evidence 1. Notice anything about this wall? Something missing?

See the smaller blue frame? I am notorious for putting up frames, without their pictures. Why? Because putting pictures up is a two step process. You find an awesome frame but need to find the right picture to go into it. Or, the reverse and then you got to find the location for this match made in heaven. It's not rocket science.

Though in my case, I usually find an awesome frame first and then have to find that picture. And usually before finding the picture, I put the frame in the desired location, because, honestly, sometimes that determines the picture, right?
You can't have too many lovey-dovey pictures in your kitchen...


So I had this antique-looking robins egg blue and gold frame (from the clearance section, I think in Marshalls) on the wall for a while. Still not coming up with a picture, I thought I would do something a little different. And during this craft lull, happy cheery pinwheels were perfect.

Using the tutorial from The Mother Huddle, I made an antique-ish pinwheel from fabric scraps by gluing a sand colored suede fabric to a cream lace piece. Then I went through my stash of buttons and actually glued two together. I was really happy to have come across the button that said "Embrace Life".....good message to read daily.


Actually, kind of funny for the message to be Embrace Life, for now, with my completed craft, I'm gonna go and embrace some sleep. :)

There. Now isn't that a happier wall....

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love it! My husband too has to track me down in the wee hours of the night while I am crafting. I love the way you put it :)
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your heart!