Saturday, October 1, 2011

31 Days Series: The Gentle Island. The Inspiration. {Day 1}

The setting and lifestyle of Prince Edward Island is partly the motivation for my "living off the land-homesteading-getting real simple but intentional with our life" vision....

How gorgeous and peaceful does this place look?


I've been there twice and at my last visit, one early morning, I went outside our back porch of the cottage we were staying at to sit on the private beach and think/pray/reflect and I have to tell you, I was just absolutely amazed at the stillness. The calm. The peace. It was overwhelming beautiful. I was reminded of the Scripture, Be Still and Know I am God.
As if I could doubt, looking at this....


So the vision is to have a farm here. To be intentional with our lives and to live off the land and start our homestead. Land and house prices here are amazing and the pace of life is simple and undistracting.


In fact, my husband and I have been discussing the monetary value today's society has put on houses....and we realize that we don't want to, literally, "buy into" that line of thinking. It's a fallacy....Why do we buy 200K, 300K (or more!?) houses? And then work so hard (usually at the expense of our families) to pay off that mortgage. It's a 15, 20, 30 year bind! Great, you get to say that you paid off your mortgage -- but you've paid two to three times more for that house? Not only can you not sell that house anywhere near what you ended up paying for it at the end of the mortgage, but would YOU have bought that house for three times as much? Because that's practically what you did.

No, we are not doing that.

The Bible talks about not being indebted to anyone, but if you do, to pay it off quickly. And we don't believe paying so much money for a house is actually good stewardship of our finances, time, families or giftings.

So we are revamping and being intentional and strategic. And who wouldn't want to wake up to skies like this....


What are your thoughts on this matter? What's your location of inspiration and calm?

**This post is part of my 31 Days to Green Gables series....that's right, I am doing a series, y'all.....part of The Nester's 31 Days Event. You can get a glimpse of what I will be blogging about here.

3 comments:

  1. What a FUN idea for 31 days! I'm a devoted Anne fan, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will certainly make introspection easier having those stunning views and skies around you. You're photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely and completely adore the Anne of Green Gables series. I read it through every year. I can't wait to travel this road with you for 31 days!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your heart!