Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's time for a VeggieTales Bday Party!

My son Eliel, was turning 2 on Saturday and for the last month, I had been planning the most amazing birthday party, complete with a VeggieTales theme.

As with everything, I usually overbook myself with everything and "within" everything. Eliel's (mega)party was planned for right after we returned from our Disney vacation -- meaning we were sleep-deprived, overstimulated for months on end and somewhat off of our eating and sleeping schedule. On top of this, I am pregnant and within this pregnancy, I just seem WAAAAY more tired than usual. Especially after eating -- almost can slip into a coma if I wasn't distracted by my 2 yo flinging rice off the spoon!

Anyhow, for both my sanity and my family's mental health, I "downgraded" this party to a small intimate "just-us" party....which means that I didn't go and make him a special birthday shirt, or assemble awesome garden/veggietale favorites, or cut a humongous Bob the Tomato from poster board to "pin the nose on Bob" game, or, or, or...
guess my creativity is grieving a little...

BUT I DID MAKE A CAKE!
And not just any cake, but my first fondant cake with VeggieTale characters!

K, remember it is my first cake, so it's not completely perfect --- and I know it looks seriously wet (slimy, also came to mind, ack!) but that is the flash bouncing off the fondant!...And I know I had a leaky "h"....(duh, the instructions said to test first...I never listen, like in this post)


Also, I realized that my creation resulted in a slight variation of the VeggieTale plot and characters.

For instance, Bob the Tomato (apparently, to my husband...) seems to be sporting a toupe...

Madame Blueberry is no longer a female for it (she?) looks male. That's really due to an "accident" with her eyelashes -- they just wouldn't stick and her eyes got all googly... :)

Junior Asparagus lost his hat...

I was trying to make a hat, but it kept looking like a turban or like he was recovering from brain surgery....so just decided to go without...

I have angry and sad peas...And this guy (Jerry the Gord's brother, I can't remember his name...) just.wouldn't.keep.his.shape. Must be all that pizza that he likes!


And speaking of pizza, both my husband and sister thought the infamous VeggieTales counter (only the SETTING of my cake!) was a pizza. My husband thought it was pepperoni and my sister thought it was cheese slices. Both obviously need to watch more television... :)

Anyhow, overall, I am very pleased with the results AND my biggest smile came from Eliel's reaction to the cake...


AND the fact that he recognized ALL the characters! Mission accomplished.

Then, he proceeded to lick his cake ---- claiming it perhaps?
Where did he learn that?!


Then he carefully choose his first victim...

Decided a pea would suffice...

Ate it whole...

Showed a "no prisoners" mentality...

And gave all the yummy details :)


After all that sugar, we had him open his gift...



...played some silly games...


and then went to Cheeky Monkeys to burn off the fondant and some energy!



And if you want info on the cake -- where my inspiration came from, how to do the marshmallow fondant or to just be wowed by newest blog sister, that post is coming right up!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! And your Veggie Tale cake is AWESOME!!!! Happy Birthday Eliel!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your heart!