Thursday, February 23, 2012

Painting, from a Women' Perspective

Recently, when reading a post from Finding Fabulous, Jane and her husband are at opposite ends on whether to paint the brick/fireplace in a recently spruced and painted room.

Don't we all have that? Shouldn't this debate be covered in Relationship 101 Manuals, right up there with toilet roll placement and toothpaste squeezeability? Why is it that men just get completely cold feet when it comes to painting things like wood or brick? It's not like it takes away from the durability of the item. It's still wood, dude! Just prettier.

Anyhow, my husband and I had this lovely conversation when I wanted to paint our kitchen, from its boring, er, solid oak cabinets. But we ended up painting them --- er, I even got them to be blue lol!

And we had the conversation again, when I wanted to paint the brick over the fireplace. I never did a post on it but here are some pics.





Isn't the white brick so much nicer and lightens up that room? I think it's a much nicer transition to my blue and white kitchen than red brick!

And we will have the conversationagain when I bring up how I now would like to paint that actual fireplace. Thinking a deeper red.....

And oh boy, will we have the conversation, when I mention that I have now been recently very VERY inspired by Design Mom's Painted Piano. That's right, I said PIANO. She went green y'all!

Consider this your heads up, hon :)

I'm partially kidding, as my "crazy sounding" ideas do turn out to be quite fabulous, if I can toot my horn. My husband even liked my turquoise dining table, which he painted for me :)
Again, I need to do a post about that one as well....

My thought is that it's your house, make it your home. Let it reflect who you are. Surround yourself with what you consider happy, calming, beautiful.


Or at the very least, you've got a conversation starter. Or, free passes to Hands-on Couple Conflict Resolution Workshop :)

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying for a while now to figure out what the heck to do with my fireplace. It's not ugly, but it's the wrong proportions for the room, so I want to figure out how to give the illusion that it isn't so huge -- without ripping it all apart! Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your heart!